According to a study by Towers Watson, 66% of organizations have experienced difficulties appealing to STEM talents and 41% have also had problems retaining them. Therefore, it is crucial to learn how to find skilled candidates in these fields and know how to keep them around after you’ve hired them.
The demand for STEM talents is growing exponentially and there are many reasons why:
- Use of Technology Internet, web applications, social communities and mobile apps. Many daily tasks and processes now center around using technology and these technologies are getting more and more sophisticated each and every day.
- Aging and Growing Populations The demand for new products in medicine and scientific advancements will increase rapidly as the world population grows larger and older quickly.
- Need for Innovation Increasing competition and high customer expectations will force companies to drive innovation and improve their products and services.
- Green Energy Environmental protection, international legislation, and the increasing demand for alternative energy sources are creating countless new market opportunities.
- And many more…
Careers in the STEM sector are the cornerstone of innovation, but there aren’t enough qualified talents to go around. So, what can employers do in order to get the STEM talents they are looking for and, more important, also keep them?
- Search for talents using special STEM-related resources – like tech magazines, trade fairs
- Offer an attractive salary system and retention bonuses
- Describe the impact the candidate will have on the company and its customers
- Show concrete examples of projects that need their expertise
- Increase workplace and time flexibility
- Improve your employer brand
- Be open for innovation and change
- Develop an engaging work environment and corporate culture
- Provide targeted training and development opportunities
To tackle these challenges, it is important to increase the collaboration between companies, educational institutes and other stakeholders to create more awareness of the career opportunities that the STEM field has to offer. With the help of Academy Cube, companies across Europe now have the opportunity to present themselves and post open job positions to reach a broad pool of qualified applicants in the ICT and STEM fields, helping both the companies and the candidates to find the perfect match wherever they happen to be in Europe.